If you have a question about the The Ranking Engine, this is your place. Below you will find detailed instructions on using the tool, how to export a list from Board Game Geek, features – current and future, and release notes. Check out our Tips and Tricks posts for some shortcuts and ideas for using the engine. Please contact us if there is anything you think is missing.
Text box Import
- If you already have a list (in a spreadsheet, text file, etc.) all you have to do is type or copy/paste it into the provided text box – one item per line, no commas needed.
- Select a list category
- Click Next
- Enjoy the ranking process! You have some tough decisions ahead.
Board Game Geek Import
You can import from BGG in two different ways 1) Your collection or 2) A number of games from the BGG top 100 list.
Your BGG Collection
The Ranking Engine allows you to input your BGG username and pull your collection based on several filters. After it gets your list, the Ranking Engine will then display the list to you so that you can preview and edit it before continuing to the ranking tab.
!Important! – When you request a collection, BGG puts this request into a queue. The data does not come back instantly. It usually takes less than a minute but if their servers are busy it can take more. BGG treats any change to the filters as a new request. The Ranking Engine will let you know that your collection has been requested and offer you the option to rank the BGG top 10 while you wait. Once your collection data comes back from BGG you will be alerted and allowed to start ranking it when you are ready.
- List Type – Limit the import to the following statuses
- All – does not filter for any of the below. Returns all.
- For Trade – returns all games with the For Trade Status
- Own – returns all games with the Owned status
- Played – returns all games you have recorded plays for
- Rated – returns all games you have assigned a rating to
- Want in Trade – returns all games with the Want in Trade status
- Want to Buy – returns all games with the Want to Buy status
- Want to Play – returns all games with the Want to Play status
- Wishlist – returns all games with the Wishlist status
- Minimum Personal Rating – returns games with personal ratings equal to or above selected rating. Selecting 0 to return all.
- Minimum BGG Rating – returns games with BGG ratings equal to or above the selected rating. Selecting 0 to return all.
- Exclude Expansions – Select “Yes” to exclude expansions from your list or “No” to include them.
BGG Top Games – You can select a number of the BGG top 100 games to rank.
- If you have previously saved a list, you can resume ranking that list by clicking on the table row. This will load your progress into the engine and start you up where you left off. You must be logged in to see any lists you have saved.
- If you have previously saved a complete list you can click on the table row in the Completed table. This will show your final ranking in the Rank tab. Once it is loaded in the Rank tab you can re-rank it by clicking the drop-down menu and clicking “Restart ranking with your current list”.
-Although the Ranking Engine can filter and import your collection it may not be exactly what you want. See the section below (Export a list from Board Game Geek) to get detailed instructions for exporting a list from BoardGameGeek.com
-This may be obvious but it needs to be said. The more games you load into the Ranking Engine the longer it will take to complete the ranking process. 140 games took around 700 comparisons. Fortunately, you can save your progress to come back to another time.
- Two items will be presented at a time. Simply click on the card of the item you want to vote for.
- Your progress in the ranking process is represented by a progress bar above the cards.
- You can delete an item from the ranking process by clicking the trash can on the card you want to delete.
- You can undo either a vote or a delete by clicking the Undo button between the two cards.
- You can save your progress by clicking the Save button between the two cards.
- It will prompt you for a list description if you are logged in. If not, it will prompt you to log in.
- Enter your description and click the save button.
Once you have completed the ranking process your results will appear. There are several options available for exporting your results via buttons at the top of the results table. You can also search your results using the search box above the results table.
- Copy – copy the results to the clipboard for pasting elsewhere
- CSV – download a
csvfile containing the results.
- Excel – download an excel file containing the results
- PDF – Download a pdf containing the results.
You can also save your completed list to My Lists:
- Click the Save to My Lists button.
- It will prompt you for a description if you are logged in. If not it will prompt you to log in.
- Enter your description and click the Save button.
Arrow Keys – Use your arrow keys to vote for items. Left arrow votes for the left game. Right arrow votes for the right game, Up arrow triggers the Undo button.
Board Game Geek Integration – Filter and import your BGG collection or games from the BGG top 100 into the Ranking Engine.
Delete Lists – You can delete lists from your My Lists section. Just click the trash can and confirm that you want to remove it.
Delete Item – You can delete items from the ranking engine during the ranking process. Simply click the trash can on the card you want to delete to remove it.
Export Results – You can export your ranking results with the following options – copy to clipboard, download
Go to My Lists – In the drop-down menu, you will find this link that will quickly take you back to the My Lists section of the Import tab.
Mobile/Desktop optimized – The Ranking Engine is optimized for either desktop or mobile browsers.
Ranked Games – check out the top games as ranked by users of The Ranking Engine.
Restart – This is located in the Ranking Engine drop down menu. It restart the ranking process with your current list. This list will exclude any items you’ve already deleted. This also works with completed and saved lists to rank those lists again.
Reset – This is located in the Ranking Engine drop-down menu. It will reload the page completely, taking you back to the Import step. Your current list and progress will be erased.
Save Progress – You can save your ranking progress by clicking the Save button between the two cards on the Rank tab. It will prompt you for a description. Once a list is saved it will show up in the In Progress table under Import > My Lists. Clicking on that lists row will load it back into the ranking process for you to continue. Your In Progress lists will remain available to load until you delete them or save the final list.
Save Completed Lists – You can save your completed lists to the My Lists section. On the Results tab, click the Save to My Lists button. It will
Text box import – Import a list of items to rank easily by typing or pasting data into the provided text box of the Import tab.
Undo – You can undo votes and deletes. Clicking this will take you back to the immediately previous state of your ranking progress. The Ranking Engine keeps ten items in history so you can undo up to ten times.
features: coming soon(ish)
- Fan Favorites – a pre-loaded list of your favorite pop culture stuff to rank. We will let you know the overall results at the end.
- Make your own Fan Favorites lists to share with friends
1.5 (2018.04.02 | Details) – Board Game Geek Integration, Exporting Results
1.4 (2018.03.22 | Details) – Saving/Loading/Deleting progress and final lists
1.3 (2018.02.22 | Details) – New card-based look and feel, and a simplified flow
1.2 (2017.12.28)- Under the hood code changes and optimizations
1.1 (2017.09.18 | Details) – Functionality update – Undo, Delete Item, Restart, Arrow Keys to rank
1.0 (2016.11.16 | Details) – The original, bare-bones ranking engine
export a list from Board Game Geek
- Log into Board Game Geek
- Under the My Geek menu select Collection
- Just above your collection data, there is a link that says “Download board games: (all | owned)”. Click your preferred option.
- BGG will then inform you that your request has been queued.
- Click on your messages link next to the BGG logo.
- You should have a message in your inbox with a link to retrieve your file.
- Clicking the link will download a csv file of your collection.
- If you have Excel, open the downloaded file. If you don’t, you can open the file in Google Docs or some other spreadsheet application.
- Select row 1 of the spreadsheet and delete it.
- Select all of the data in column A and copy it. (Ctrl + C)
- On our Ranking Engine page, paste that data into the text box
- Click the Next button.
- Start Ranking your games